Healthy Keys to a Longer Life

By 8  am on

The secrets to living a longer life and enjoying good health in old age may be easier than most people realize. Many individuals believe their life spans are mainly determined by genetics, yet the truth is genetics only influences longevity by about 25 percent. It’s important to take charge of the other 75 percent, encouraging the formation of smart habits that support healthy longevity. The following are just a few ways to do this.

Social Connections 

Studies have shown that seniors who have strong social connections with friends and family tend to live longer, healthier lives. A healthy social life has been shown to have as much of a positive effect on longevity as having normal blood pressure, maintaining a healthy weight, and staying away from alcohol and tobacco. Older individuals living with major illnesses who maintain strong social networks often live longer than their more isolated counterparts. 

If your aging loved one doesn’t have strong social connections with friends or family, consider a service like hourly home care. With hourly care, a professional and compassionate caregiver can visit your loved one, providing companionship to enhance social connections while also assisting with household chores and personal care activities to promote maximum safety and comfort. 

For families living in Huntsville, respite care can be a wonderful solution when their aging loved ones need companionship and socialization a few hours a week or just need minor assistance with daily household tasks. At Home Care Assistance, we thrive on helping seniors maintain their independence while living in the comfort of home.

Dietary Habits 

A healthy and balanced diet is a common thread that can be seen in cultures around the world whose populations have longer life spans. People in Japan and Greece tend to eat more fresh fruits, vegetables, and fish, and they avoid fats and red meat. A healthy diet for a senior should be focused around: 

  • Whole grains such as wheat, oats, and barley
  • Fresh fruits and vegetables
  • Fish, especially oily varieties
  • Nuts and olive oil

If your loved one needs help with maintaining a healthy diet, a home caregiver can be a wonderful resource. Not every senior has the same care needs, which means they don’t all need the same type of senior home care. You can rely on Home Care Assistance to provide an individualized care plan to meet your elderly loved one’s unique care needs. Our holistic Balanced Care Method was designed to help seniors focus on healthy lifestyle habits, such as eating nutritious foods, exercising regularly, and maintaining strong social ties, and our Cognitive Therapeutics Method offers mentally stimulating activities that can boost cognitive health and delay the onset of dementia.


Adding moderate exercise to the daily regimen can extend life spans for females by up to five years and close to six years for males. A study of a group of 75-year-old people followed the individuals for 18 years and found that many of the seniors who regularly exercised and adopted healthy eating habits lived beyond age 90. The best exercises for seniors were found to be swimming, walking, and attending group fitness classes. 

Hiring a professional caregiver is one of the best ways to ensure your loved one makes healthy lifestyle choices that promote longevity. If your aging loved one needs help managing everyday tasks or encouragement to adopt healthier lifestyle choices, turn to Home Care Assistance, a leading provider of elder care. Huntsville Home Care Assistance provides professional in-home caregivers around the clock to help seniors live longer, happier, and healthier lives. To learn about our high-quality in-home care options, give us a call at (256) 716-9940 today.


    Request Free Information or
    Schedule a Free in-Home Consultation